Here is some review questions. I was not able get the tables to line up. We will go over this tomorrow and I will have more review questions for you in class, plus homework tomorrow.
1. Simplify the following expression (4x-5)- (9x-7)
2. The cost to buy water for a camping trip is determined by the formula T=q(p+t). In this formula T is the total cost of the water, q is the number of quarts of water bought, p is the price per quart, and t is the tax on each quart. Solve the equation for p.
3. Solve for x: 15(x-3)- x/(3 )=10x+25
4. What is the equation of the line that passes through the points (-5, 4) and (6, -51)?
5. What is the slope of the line that is perpendicular to the graph 2y = -6x+8?
6. Find the solution for the following system of linear equations:
7. Draw the number line that represents all of the solutions of the inequality |x+3|>6
8. Solve for x: 4^x= 〖256〗^2
9. The students recorded how long it took them to walk up the stairs at Rainier Beach High School.
Student Number of Stairs Time in Seconds
Thea 15 6
Adriana 40 16
Imani 20 8
Quan 25 10
Diamond 10 4
What is the equation that represents the data in the table?
10. Let f(x)= x^2- 6x+34. What is the value of x that makes f(x)=50 true?
11. The fuel gauge on Mr. Rice’s car showed that the tank was 2/3 full. After he added 2 gallons of fuel to the tank, the gauge indicated it was now 3/4 full. How many gallons of fuel does Mr. Rice’s car gas tank hold?
12. What binomial are factors of x^2 - 10x - 24?
13. When each side of a square is increased by 12 inches, the resulting area is four times as great as it would have been if each side had been increased by 4 inches. What is the area of the original square?
14. During the last few years, a high school has experienced changes in student enrollment and the number of students taking calculus.
Year 1 2 3 4 5
Total Enrollment 1,250 1,289 1,362 1,439 1,540
Enrollment in Calculus 512 515 530 547 568
Ms. Riggin says interest is Calculus is increasing. Explain how the data from the table supports her statement.
Mr. Rice says interest is Calculus is decreasing. Explain how the data from the table supports his statement.
15. The distance from the Sun to Mars is 2.49*〖10〗^8 kilometers. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 5.77*〖10〗^7 kilometers. How far is it from the Earth to Mars?
16. What is the x-intercept of the graph of the equation y = (x-250)/50 ?
17. Consider the expression 3(n-2)^3 - 3.
What are the values of the expression when n=1, 2, and 3?
18. Alexis, Mary, Ambera and Michaela compared answers to a problem from a Mr. Rice quiz.
Alexis’s answer was 7
Mary’s answer was √81
Ambera’s answer was √64
Michaela’s answer was √73
Whose answer was closest to 8.5?
19. Solve for x. 1/3 x + 60 - 5x = 2x
20. The age of each adult in a group is exactly double the age, in years, of each student in the group.
Student ages: 19, 17, 20, 21, 22, 18, 22
Compare the mean and the range of each group. What do you notice?
21. Let f(x)= 7√(63+x^3 ). What is the value of f(-3)?
22. Find the roots of this quadratic equation: y = 3x^2 + 3x - 18
23. Solve for x: (3^x )^2 = 6561
24. Mr. Rice has some savings. He decides to invest the savings. The formula for the account is: V=P(1+r)^t.
V = the future value of the money
P = the amount of the deposit
r = the annual interest rate
t = time in years.
How much money will Mr. Rice have if he invests $750 for 4 years at 7% annual interest?
25. Joey is writing a report about the future of technology in public education. He found the following information about computers at RBHS.
School Year Students per Computer
2007 – 2008 15.6
2008 – 2009 11.7
2009 – 2010 8.5
2010 – 2011 7.4
Based on the above data, what sort of prediction can you make about computers at RBHS?
26. Find f(3) when f(x)=2(|x-12|+ 6).
27. What is the exponential function that fits the ordered pairs is the table below?
x 0 1 2 3
f(x) 16 24 36 54
28. When Mrs. Rice goes for her morning walk she takes 9,000 steps to cover 4 miles. Write the equation that represents the relationship between the number of miles walked, M, and the number of steps taken, s.
29. What is the cube of 4x^2?
30. Consider the following table the shows the force applied to a piece of rope and how far it will stretch.
Force Length (mm)
Based on the pattern, what is the force required to stretch the rope 20mm?
31. Solve the following system of linear equations:
32. The yield for a cotton crop will increase at a constant rate with additional rain
Additional Rain (in.) Cotton Yield (bushels)
What is the expression that represents the rate of change of expected cotton yield to additional rain?
33. Mr. Rice is going to save some money. He is going to deposit an equal amount of money into a savings account until he has saved $1,100. The amount of money, y in the account after x months can be expressed by the equation y= 55x + 440.
What does the y-intercept of the equation above represent?